We made this traditional Spanish torta for breakfast on Christmas day and it was soooo good we are making it again this week for New Year’s Day!
Nothing soaks up a night of champagne like potatoes, eggs, and olive oil, and yet this recipe is as healthy as they come. It’s totally gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian, and we’ve made it green by adding spinach!
New Year’s Day Spanish Breakfast Torta by RBMD – adapted from Epicurious.com
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb spinach leaves, rinsed
- Smoked paprika for garnish
- A few flat leaf Italian parsley leaves chopped for garnish
- A large omelette or frittata pan
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, arrange the onion and potatoes in a flat layer and cover with 1/2 cup olive oil. Cook the vegetables, gently stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender but not browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
2. While the onions and potatoes are cooking, sautee the spinach in a skillet with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Once the spinach is thoroughly wilted place on a bed of 3-4 paper towels, then roll up the spinach and wring out, getting out as much excess water as possible. Chop roughly and set aside.
3. Drain the cooked onions and potatoes in a colander set over a bowl until cooled. (The oil collected in the bowl can be used later in the recipe or for another preparation.)
4. Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange the potato mixture and the spinach in the skillet in a flat layer and then pour the eggs over top. Cook the eggs, pressing the edges into the center as they begin to cook. Once the omelet is set enough, gently shake the pan to keep it from sticking on the bottom. Continue cooking until almost completely set, 6 to 8 minutes. Slide the omelet out onto a large dinner plate and invert it back into the pan to finish cooking the other side, 2 to 3 minutes more.
4. Slide the finished omelet onto a large serving plate and sprinkle with the smoked paprika and the parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.